18 June 2007

Semicolons

If you write, or if you read a lot and have Opinions about writing, or if you teach and have Opinions of writing, could you please spend a few seconds thinking about the semicolon? Although I have my own opinion, I am curious what you think. Here are my questions about the semicolon.
  1. In your opinion, when and for what reasons is the semicolon properly used?
  2. Are there points of semicolon usage that bother you or disrupt the process of reading for you? What are they?
  3. Does the semicolon have a place in contemporary writing, and if so, where? Feel free to use examples, if any spring to mind.


I am interested in seeing a variety of opinions on this topic.

2 comments:

Anita said...

1. In your opinion, when and for what reasons is the semicolon properly used?

Semicolons denote a link between two independent clauses in the absence of another unifying element. They also can be used to separate lists when the list items offer more grammatical complexity than the comma can handle. The comma is a wee wimp.
There may be other reasons, but I haven't had enough coffee to think of them.
2. Are there points of semicolon usage that bother you or disrupt the process of reading for you? What are they?

I'm only bothered when they are used incorrectly.

3. Does the semicolon have a place in contemporary writing, and if so, where? Feel free to use examples, if any spring to mind.

Yes. Wherever it is needed.

I guess I take a rhetorical approach to grammar. The semicolon plays a vital role in discerning meaning.

Gwen said...

My approach is somewhat different, but you probably figured that out. You know what a religious grammarian I am! ;)

Here is an example. Well, four examples.

I repaired the lawn mower. I put it in the shed.

I repaired the lawn mower: I put it in the shed.

I repaired the lawn mower; I put it in the shed.

I repaired the lawn mower, and I put it in the shed.

I repaired the lawn mower and I put it in the shed.

I repaired the lawn mower, so I put it in the shed.

I repaired the lawn mower, but I put it in the shed.

All of those examples are correct, and they all mean something different.

I love English!